Swansea Print Workshop was set up in 1998 by a small group of artists with the intention of providing much needed professional printmaking and drawing facilities in the
View of the press room and drawing studio before refurbishment
With the help of a substantial grant from the Arts Council of Wales, SPW’s premises were refurbished in 2001. Since then, we have grown rapidly, and are now a major contributor to the visual arts in
Press room and life drawing studio
Swansea Print Workshop is registered as a not for profit company limited by guarantee ( No. 4078671 ): this means that all income generated by us is put directly back into supporting our activities. We offer printmaking facilities and services to professional artists, as well as promoting community participation in the arts.
- March: ‘Impressions’ exhibition opening at Nant y Coy Gallery, Haverfordwest. Selected prints from the open exhibition.
- February: SPW Annual exhibition of members work at the Arts Wing, Grand Theatre,
. Exhibition of drawings by full members in the White Room. Swansea
- December: EQUAL Project print presentation at AWEMA,
- November: Christmas Print Fayre
- September: Contemporary Welsh Printmakers opens at The Arts Wing, Grand Theatre,
- May: Contemporary Welsh Printmakers opens at
, Alhambra . Lahore, Pakistan
- May: 51.34 North 1.46
West SwanseaPrint Workshop International exhibition opens at , Alhambra . Lahore, Pakistan
- May: especially when the October wind: Dylan Thomas Print exhibition opens at
, Alhambra . Lahore, Pakistan
- May: Indian/ American artist
Vinita Voogdbecomes visiting Artist in Residence, involving in-house exhibition, artist talk and masterclasses in Collagraph and Monotype techniques.
Informationand Resource Co-ordination Project: Arts Council Wales [£20,000]
- April: Bill Chambers appointed as
Informationand Resource Co-ordinator
Recent Work exhibition at St Davids Hall Foyer Galleries, Print Workshop Swansea . Cardiff
- April: Contemporary Welsh Printmakers opens at the VM Gallery,
. Karachi, Pakistan
Print Workshop first International exhibition, 51.34 North 1.46 West, opens at Nomad Gallery, Swansea . Islamabad, Pakistan
- January: In partnership with All Wales Ethnic Minority Association and Curiad Calon Cymru funded by WEFO, the EQUAL Project begins a 12 month series of workshops at SPW led by project officer Aleem Dad Khan.
- November: Training Programme for Pakistani Printmaker Aleem Khan
- October: Appointment of architects for feasibility study,
Sarah Wigglesworth Architects.
- September: £3000 from Arts Wales International to transport Contemporary Welsh Printmakers to
- August: Workshop represented at National Eisteddfod of Wales,
- July: Festival of Muslim Cultures Print Project exhibition, Oriel Ceri Richards,
- June: £5000 from Arts Council of Wales for framing and to publish tri-lingual exhibition catalogue to support Festival of Muslim Cultures Print Project exhibition
- May: Partnership funding of £12,800 from Swansea Housing Association for Feasibility Study.
Sameera Khanand Sarah Hopkinstravel to to conduct feasibility study Pakistan
- March: Exhibition of work - asylum seekers and over 50’s from Castle Ward at National Waterfront Museum of Wales,
- March: Contemporary Pakistani Printmakers exhibition, Sultan Gallery,
- February: £3500 from Arts International Wales and All Wales Ethnic Minority Association to conduct feasibility of Contemporary Welsh Printmakers touring exhibition
- February: Contemporary Pakistani Printmakers exhibition, St Donats Arts Centre, Vale of Glamorgan
- January: Arts Council of Wales capital grant of £38,300 for a feasibility study for new premises to be located at the Kings Lane Warehouse,
- January: Contemporary Pakistani Printmakers exhibition, Oriel Ceri Richards,
- December: £1000 from Common Investment Fund for printmaking workshops with over 50’s in Castle Ward
- December: £1000 from Common Investment Fund for printmaking workshops with asylum seekers in Blaenymaes
- November: Artists in residence: Pakistani printmakers Atif Khan and Aleem Khan
- October: £5000 from Communities First for printmaking workshops in Castle Ward
- November: Print Auction:
and Museum in collaboration with The Joseph Herman Art Foundation Cymru. Glynn Vivian Art Gallery
- November: Invited Artist Scheme: Four artists from other disciplines making prints with
StudioManager, Sameera Khan
- September: Appointment of Project Manager,
Sarah Hopkinsfor Festival of Muslim Cultures:UK 2006. Print Project. Arts Council of £24,000 Wales
- June: Registration accepted by Arts Council of Wales for capital project to develop larger premises.
Arts Forum Trust: £1500 for “All About Me”, Photography / print project targeting people with mental health problems attending community day centres. Swansea
- February: Oriel y Bont,
: Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition. Universityof Glamorgan
- February: Appointment of Volunteer Supervisor(Arts Council of Wales award £12,000)
- ACW Pilot scheme for Emerging Disabled artists
- November: Ruthin Library, Ruthin, Wales: Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition.
- November: Five Invited Artists Editioning Project.
and Museum Swansea: Auction of Original Prints in collaboration with the Josef Herman Foundation. Glynn Vivian Art Gallery
- October: Esmee Fairbairn Foundation Award: £60,000 over three years to appoint a
- Appointment of
StudioManager: Sameera Khan.
- October: SPW to be host for one artist under Supporting Emerging Disabled Artists Scheme: Promo Cymru. Work Placement for 9 months.
- October: Volunteer Participation Project, Arts Council of
Award of £12,000 Wales
- October: Buckley Library, Denbighshire, Wales: Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition.
- September: Oriel Myrddin,
Carmarthen, Wales: Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition.
- September: Hafod Centre, Llanwrst, Wales.Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition:
- July: Marketing and Publicity Coordination Project: Arts Council of
, £4980 Wales
- May: The Hay Festival of Literature, Hay on Wye,
: Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition. Wales
- March: Oriel Washington Gallery, Penarth, Wales: Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition.
- January: The National Library of
, Aberystwyth, Wales: Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition. Wales
- January – June: WCVA Millennium Award Scheme: workshops
- November 2003 - November 2004: The Chrysler
, Building, New York, USA International Centre, Welsh Assembly Offices:Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition. Wales
- October: The
Book Fair, Oxford : Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition. Oxford, England
, Leighton Park : Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition. Reading, England
- WCVA Millennium Award Scheme: training programme for four artists.
- August: The National Eisteddfod, Meifod,
Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition. Wales
- August: The Wyeside Arts Centre, Builth Wells, Wales: Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition.
- July: Pontardawe Arts Centre, Pontardawe,
, Wales: Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition. Swansea
- July: Appointment of
StudioAdministrator / three days a week.(Compact Funding)
- June:St Donats Arts Centre, Llantwit Major,
: Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition Wales
- May 2003: launch of sale of the Dylan Thomas box set of prints. June: Compact Funding Award: £10,000 for part time administrative post for one year.
- April: WCVA Millennium Award Scheme. £10,000. Training programme for four artists in photo silkscreen processes with four supporting workshops to develop a teaching programme. The grant will also facilitate the purchase of vital equipment and materials.
- March: Preview of Dylan Thomas Prints Exhibition at Wales Week, Welsh Assembly Government, Theatre du
, Residence Palace . Brussels
- Arts Council of
Production and Audience Development Grant £24800: Dylan Thomas Project. Wales
- June: SDF funding facilitates the appointment of part time technician and some administrative support.
- 100% remission from Rates re-approved for three years by City and Council of Swansea.
- Interest-free loan of £10,000 from the City and Council of Swansea to be repayed over 10 years.
Development Fund £10,000 over 12 months to facilitate increased access to new facility. Swansea
Development Fund: £1000 grant for colour laser printer to facilitate in-house printing and marketing. Swansea
- November: Part-time Outreach Project Coordinator appointed (3 days a week for 3 years).
- October: An ‘Arts for All’ Lottery grant by the Arts Council of Wales for an extended Outreach programme (£69,000 over three years).
- Millennium Award facilitates pilot for an Outreach Project for the local community (£5000).
- Print Auction at the
and Museum raises the £5000 shortfall in building costs. Glynn Vivian Art Gallery
- June: re-opening with increased facilities and improved disabled access.
Studioclosed for 9 months for refurbishment.
- March: Awarded an Arts Council of Wales Capital grant of £90,000 for the purchase and refurbishment of the studios at 19a
- March: Exhibition,
Swansea Print WorkshopGroup Show: , Taliesin Arts Centre, Ceri Richards Gallery , University College . Swansea
incorporated as a not for profit company, limited by guarantee: No 4078671. Print Workshop Swansea
- November: Exhibition,
Swansea Print WorkshopGroup Show, , Norwegian Church . Cardiff
- July: Exhibition,
Swansea Print WorkshopGroup Show, Waterstones gallery, Swansea
- Business Connect: Set-up grant of £1000, part of which paid for ICOM to write a constitution for the limited company.
- 100% remission from Rates granted for three years by City and Council of Swansea.
- A grant for a Feasibility Study was made by Arts Lottery (£6000)
Print and Drawing Association constituted at a public meeting on June 30th. Swansea
- April: Columbian press bought from an artist in
(private funding/ interest free loan). Wales
- Large silk screen press donated by a local artist.
- October: A large etching press was bought from
of Art (private funding/ interest free loan). Chelsea College
- Change of use negotiated for the property for a ‘not for profit’ organisation with a remit for educational and leisure activities.
- The studios at 19a
Clarence Streetwere acquired (private funding/interest free loan).
- Swansea Print and Drawing Association was formed by a group of artists / printmakers to facilitate access to printmaking presses.